Sunday, March 16, 2003

Received the following from a buddy of mine in Vancouver the other day and it struck a chord with me.
Belle is a hyper-active springer spaniel. I remember when my friend showed up in the newsroom at the Whistler Question newspaper with her the first time. Always reminded me of Tigger: all spring and no sense.

Dear Paul,
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, but I haven't been able to
concentrate much lately.
I've known for a while that this day would come too soon. This past weekend
, tumor on belle's stomach swelled up to the size of a grapefruit, and has
become painful for me to touch. I have tried lancing it and draining it, but
it just gets bigger.
She has been losing her hearing and her sight over the past couple of years,
and this isn't the only lump on her.
She had a similar tumor removed from her about a year and a half ago and I
was told that if it returned , she would have to have her mammory system
removed. She's going on 14 years old and the cost is more than I can justify
spending on her at her age.
I have been trying to make peace with myself, that the decision I have made
is right, but have failed, I just feel wrong, but I can't let her go on like
this, as the swelling will only get larger and cause her more pain.
She still has more energy than any dog I have met at her age, I feel like I
am killing her, not putting her to sleep.
So I have taken friday off, and am taking her to a vet down the street from
me, and am ending her life. I will take her remains to a favorite fishing
spot at the old town site of Garibaldi. This has been a favorite spot for
us, she loved the moss covered forest, and was always a stop for us for
fishing. I will always be able to have her with me at this spot and she will
leave this world with my words to her "Where's the fish".
"Belle" November 1989-2003
Love who found me

No comments: