Monday, March 03, 2003

But are we not all refugees from something? Whether we stay or go or return, we all need refuge from the world beyond our fingertips at some time. When I was asked by a woman at the pub, "Have you come from Africa, away from that wicked Amin?" I said, "No, I am an explorer on a voyage of discovery," as I imagined my Mr. Salgado would have replied. The smoke was thick and heavy like a cloud of yeast spread everywhere. She laughed, touching my arm and moving closer in the dark. A warm Shetland jumper. A slack but yielding skin with patchouli behind the ears. I was learning that human history is always a story about someone else's diaspora: a struggle between those who expel, raid or curtail - possess, divide and rule - and those who keep the flame alive from night to night, mouth to mouth, enlarging the world with each flick of a tongue.
Romesh Gunesekera
"Reef"

No comments: