Friday, March 04, 2005

Spin Cycle & The Merits Of A Walk In The Woods
I'm now nine days into this new life of spin and fortunately I suppose, it has been a busy time.
Baptism by fire last friday with the first press conference before the slavering masses: Hi EnLai, Heya Jerry... etc. Mind, I never much cared for overly friendly flacks myself so perhaps I'll cull the chummy bits a bit.
There's a bunch of blanks to fill in but I'm going to tip-toe into it over the first wee bit. This is no anonymous blog. There are plenty of folks out there who'll be able to whittle down the list of suspects pretty quickly so I'm going to go against my instincts (publish and be damned) and be a bit coy till I gather my feet beneath me.
Can mention yesterday's crisis, the announcement by the head of the Natl Police aceh task force that my organization and UNHCR will have to leave by 26 March.
Whoa? Is that sound of sphincter's snapping shut in offices around the globe?
Have dealt with it now - more on the weekend about that most excellent spinnage - but for now I'm going to exit with fine words from the 19thC Danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard (and repeated in Lawrence Scanlan's Harvest of a Quiet Mind: The Cabin as Sanctuary) on the merits of a good walk:
"... above all do not lose your desire to walk: every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away every illness; I have walked myself into my best thoughts and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it... The more one sits still, the closer one comes to feeling ill. If one just keeps on walking, everything will be alright."

No comments: